Sunday, June 21, 2009

Those Good Old days

मै और मेरी तन्हाई अक्सर ये बातें करते हैं......

…yes. Me and my solitude always talk about this. This is about the time when I was very young. Though I am still young, but it is about 25 to 30 years ago, when I was stepping towards getting young. That was the age of no television, but only radio. I recall the time when in the morning, I use to open my eyes in the bed with the sweet melodious signature tune of All India Radio. I lay on the bed listening to the recital of Vande-Mataram and devotional songs. I used to have my break-fast with the old melodies of Hindi films from Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation and finishing it with the song of late K.L. Sehgal at 8 AM. We always knew, when it was the first day of month, as Sri Lanka radio used to broadcast the song "Aaj Pehli Tareekh hai...." on that day, without fail.

In the evening we have to study from 7PM to 9PM and my ears used to get fixed to the radio right from 8.45, the news time. I eagerly wait for the beeps at 9, so that I could pack-up and go for dinner. After dinner it was the time for Akashvani Kolkata programmes. The famous one at that time was “Chhaya-Chhobir Gaan” (Film songs) on gramophone records. …and my father used to call it a day, when Mr. Shurojit Sen stop reading the news at 11.10 PM. That was the bed-time for us.

This was the time when we barely need to look at the clock, as if our whole day schedule was bound with the radio programmes. Even then we had plenty of time for all social activities. We used to study, we used to play, go to films, meet our relatives & neighbours and celebrate every festival with full enthusiasm. We were never late for any appointment and most important, we never complained about the shortage of time in our lives.

Time changed…. Life became busy; even 24 hours seem to be less for a days work. The good old radio disappeared from our lives and hundreds of satellite channels took over. Now the day starts with “Beedi Jalai Le….” And one starts searching for his cigarette packet and lighter from the bed. The day passes with several gossips and implausible stories created by the news channels.

The evening comes with some Saas, Bahoos… multi marriages… and memory loss serials. At dinner time our eyes get fixed on TV screen watching some Very Unreal “Reality Shows” and so-called laughter shows (in which one has to find a reason to smile {not laugh} at least). Our bed time is decided by these serials and shows. Akashvani Kolkata has been taken over by some Bangla channels, which are doing nothing but mimicking other Hindi channels.

Now we don’t have time to go to cinemas, so we bring DVDs at home. We have forgotten our social obligations. We could hardly spare some time to meet our relatives, and that too once in a year or two. We never try to find out, who is residing at our neighbourhood. We celebrate the festivals like liability, just because, they are meant to be celebrated. After all we don’t have time for all these age old traditions.

Really… the time has changed or, as we think… time has shriveled.

16 comments:

Sneha Says said...

yes times have changed... I can totally relate to the the radio prm era...our day used to start with the News. We also had filmy songs prm called Binaca geet mala hosted by Amin Sayani.

Never missed a prm called inspector eagle. That was so much fun and we still had time for socilising.

Chhaya said...

Our Friend’s park is live now.

If you have posted anything new on your blog during last one week, please leave a message at “Blogs Updated Today” Post at the Park.

This is how your post will be visible to everyone. If you have left that comment on any other post at the Park then too do it.
This is a general comment. If you have already done it then please ignore/delete it.

- Admin
(Friends’ Park)

Chhaya said...

So true Sandy.. so true..
though i never saw any radio-centric time, i still remember the days when it was just Doordarshan.

I cant tolerate TV these days. I dont remember the last time when i watched a hindi series/serial.

i miss those days..

Anonymous said...

This reminds me my olden days...my father used to have a radio shop.... so i also passed my childhood listening radio........but now radio became past.......it's not just time changed everything is changed, life, human thinking, n what's not.....thank for sharing good time

sandy said...

@Chhaya ::
While writing this post, Doordarshan also came into my mind. Will also write about that era, sometimes later.

Chhaya said...

i know inky's current post's link is not working. its bcz he had posted the same thing twice and then deleted the one he posted last. the code that displays "last 10 posts..." fetches the link to the latest post. in case of inky, that post was deleted, hence the problem.

this is exactly why i insist that everyone leave a comment on "Blogs updated today"

InkTank said...

yes sir........times have indeed changed, making us into machines rather than humans! even i miss n also remember those good old days........i smiled at the mention of shurojit sen as i have heard him so so many times:)

IdleMind said...

The TV man speaketh! or should I say the radio-fan-turned-TV-man? On a serious note, the radio days reminds me of Akashvani Kolkata's trapping of nightly signals from distant Delhi ... good ole' songs ... and the advent of transistors in middle-class homes. I was never a TV fan, since we had TV in our home much late ... and even today, I'm away from TV. I don't even know what goes on in that idiot box, except choicest films from yesteryears ... pardon me.

sandy said...

@IdleMind :
Basically I am a radio man. Worked 18 years for radio. Now I am in TV, just to stay at my home town. Radio is my first-love. Me too don't like to watch TV, but you know, watching TV is my duty after all. :)

Vamsi said...

Times have changed and very well written one Sandy...

Its my life said...

wow sandy superb article by you.. How are you doing?? Nice to see you on Friendspark as well.. Request you to please do visit my blog in your free time..

Click me

Maya said...

i didnt understand the srilanks broadcasting.. how is that.. ? u used to get signals of srilanka broadcasting from this far?

sandy said...

@Uncommon.... Yes, you have got it right. Even you can get the signals of Sri Lanka B'casting Corporation (commonly known as Radio Ceylone), in Short Wave (SW) Band of any radio. I don't know if the station is still running, as few years back they were planning to close their Hindi Service.

IdleMind said...

Bondhu, dropped by to wish you Happy Pujo!

howz life? and when do u post the next one?

Chhaya said...

waiting for a new post from u


Happy Dussera!

IdleMind said...

Shubho Bijoya to you and your family!

feel sorry for the motherboard. Wish Mother Durga provides you a quicker and faster board next time!